CHILDREN’S CLASSES for children aged 5 and over are available on Sundays and Wednesdays
ADULT ONLINE TASTERS for individuals or small-groups can be arranged if you would like an introduction before attending classes in person
For more information on these classes and to discuss options, please contact Rob by phone or email.
Welcome to the Mushin Jyuku website. We are a small and friendly traditional karate club based in East Devon. Classes are taught by Rob Selby, an experienced instructor and secondary school teacher. We specialise in authentic Wado Karate as taught by Sugasawa Sensei 7th Dan Renshi, the Chief Instructor of the Shikukai Karate-Do International association.
Our aim is to focus on the development of effective technique based on an understanding of Wado Karate principles established by the founder Hironori Ohtsuka I and passed on through his successor Hironori Ohtsuka II to current generation practitioners. Lessons include a mixture of syllabus work in preparation for gradings and other training exercises to provide a balanced and varied experience.
The club (Jyuku) takes its name (Mushin) from the mental state that martial arts practitioners aspire to in which we would achieve “a mind without mind”, an awareness where our attention is not focused on one thing to the exclusion of others and in which we are free of anger, fear or ego. In this state we hope to act and react towards an opponent without hesitation or inhibition and without conscious direction. We would rely not on what we think we should do but on what is our trained natural reaction. Achieving mushin in karate takes time and commitment. There are no substitutes, or quick ways to success, that beat regular practise.
What we offer:
- regular lessons to develop good technique and effective movement
- realistic expectations of progress and development as a martial artist
- membership of a strong association under the direct leadership of an internationally renowned and respected Japanese chief instructor based in the UK
- regular courses with other members of Shikukai Karate-Do International led by Sugasawa Sensei and his senior instructors
- membership of the English Karate Federation
What we do not offer:
- “guaranteed” grading schedules with compulsory costs
- false promises of shortcuts to success or blackbelt
- a franchise/branded programme run for profit